17 Jun 2013

FIGGJO FLINT CORSICA




When I was still living in my home country Finland, I was utterly unaware of the beautiful pottery manufactured in one of our neighbouring countries, Norway. Of course I knew Sweden's Rörstrand and Gustavsberg, but never did it cross my mind to find out about the pottery treasures of Norway. But they manufactured just as fascinating and gorgeous pottery in the mid 20th century as their Scandinavian partners.

Being a Finn abroad, I have started to appreciate more not just the Nordic way of living but also the Scandinavian design. My admiration has reached slightly worrying levels as, these days, when I am visiting home, I can just go to a supermarket and admire all things I used to find so mundane, such as a box of semolina porridge or a carton of blueberry soup. I can even admire the functionality of a simple dish brush, the ones to which you can replace the brush to its handle, so ecological and well functioning.



Better get back to the Norwegian pottery now. The plates shown here are from a Norwegian company called Figgjo Flint and they were designed by Turi Gramstad Oliver (born in 1938). She made several lovely pottery ranges between 1960 to 1980 to both Figgjo Flint and Stavangerflint. The name of this range is Corsica, and as far as I am aware, it consists of a large serving plate, below, and six smaller plates, above. All decorated with those lovely naivistic characters and fruits and berries.


7 comments:

  1. No niin mustakin. Mutta vähänkös ollaan vihreinä täällä puolen kaapelilankoja! Saatko pitää kaikki nuo ihanat piilopaikka-astiat ja kastehelmikupit, ja Ulla lautasiakin useampi kuin yksi! You lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeeeiii kun ne lähti vieraiden matkaan :) Eihän mulla mahtuis kaappinkaan tommonen määrä :O

      Delete
  2. Voi mitä aarteita sinulla on. Ihania ja koko blogi. Kaunista kesää!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiitos Minna! Ja ihanaa kesää sullekin.
    Suomen kesää ikävöidään täällä sateisessa Brittein maassa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to English readers: have a look at all the amazing gifts from Finnish companies that my dear blogger friend Annika has been given for her parties for bloggers fromhttp://www.vihreatalo.com/2013/06/saman-poydan-aareen-juhlavalmisteluja.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this information, as I just lucked into this Corsica serving platter (mint condition) for $10 yesterday at the Treasure Island Flea Market in San Francisco. I felt like I found a treasure, and your post confirmed it!

    ReplyDelete