24 Jun 2013

HERTHA BENGTSON'S ROSMARIN




The question, which is my favourite colour, is always difficult one for me to answer. I just simply love all colours, or so many that to list them would loose the whole point of definition. I admire people who can stick with only black and white and the greys in between, but it just isn't something I have ever been able sign up to for a long period of time. It would require too much restraint.

Sometimes when faced with the question, I have tried to define my opinion by rather stating which colours I don't like and listing pink on top of that list. But then I remember these lovely pink pots, above, from Rörstrand and I am indecisive again. Or the ever so lovely pink Tantsu fabric from Marimekko. Or my sweet little espresso cups from Arabia Koko, also pictured on top.



The pots are part of a range called Rosmarin that was designed by Hertha Bengtson for Rörstrand. It was manufactured from 1957 to 1966 and came in several different shades - brown, grey, white - and also under the name of Capri in yellow. The dishes have a relief decoration which gives them an impression of having two shades of colour; the glazing is thicker and deeper in colour where it overlaps the relief. It is a lovely way to decorate pottery, in all its simplicity, and has the same beauty as carefully folded paper or a draped skirt. The pots have lids with a little handle that sits on the top like a squeezed piece of pink marshmallow.




In the morning I had picked up some flowers from our garden. One thing I really love about England is the lusciousness of its flora. I have never seen foxgloves as large in size and vibrant in colour in Finland. They fit perfectly to our tablecloth du jour, which is Englantilainen puutarha (English garden) by Teresa Moorhouse for Marimekko.


No comments:

Post a Comment